One Week Postpartum. TMI, The Honest Truth.

It has been a solid week since I gave birth to a beautiful 6 lb baby girl. I did not feel like I had a very normal delivery and was rather very traumatizing.

Day one I was still in a cloudy happy kind of mood. I could not stop starting at her while she slept or ate, and all Tony and I would do is talk about her constantly. I had the usual stuff that comes with a vaginal delivery, and it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. 

Day two, my body was still in shock and my midwives explained that the next couple days I would start to feel more things happening. Other than being scared to go number two, I was actually feeling great...even down there.

Day three is the worst they say for your emotions. It was also the day my midwife noticed that Baby P was breathing rather fast, and had tested high for some jaundice. She had to be brought in to the NICU to be monitored anywhere from overnight to three days which was really hard on me and Tony being separated from her for that length of time. Needless to say I was an emotional wreck, I'm not sure if it was because I was majorly sleep deprived but I do know being away from my newborn baby was the worst feeling in the world. I had a hard time feeding our baby this night, I didn't have enough milk and she was crying until Tone went out and got some formula. I felt like I failed her, and couldn't give her what she needed to survive. 

Day four, I was so tired and came home to sleep with our baby girl this time. I also started to get some of my feelings back down there! And OH EMM GEE!!! I have never experienced such strong stinging when going pee. It was so bad because my stitches were so close to here I go pee, I literally sat on the toilet going pale and shaking!! I read some forums from mothers with similar problems and they all said that it would be gone in a few days. My milk seems to be coming in more, and with pumping in between the breast feedings every few hours. 

Day five, I dreaded even drinking water because I was terrified to go pee. So I was super thirsty all day.  I came up with a way to use the toilet without it stinging as bad. I used a wet cloth that I could either wash, or throw away. Covered the places where I had stitches, and cut a breast pad for some extra help covering that area. It did help, but so did Tux in the fridge! what a relief that was and I also took like 3 Epson Salt baths and they say its good for dissolving stitches. 

Day six, thats when I could use the bathroom without it stinging, and I felt like maybe I would start to feel so much better by now. My boobs were hurting, and I had to pump more than I ever did before. 
Baby girl is still getting some formula, mostly at night so I can have help feeding her and sleeping in. Penelope sleeps at the most 3-4 hours once a night, and its usually from 3 am to 7 am and I'll take it. 

Day seven, Im feeling amazing besides the soreness because of the stitches healing. I got checked for a UTI because it is very common for new moms to get. I also found lumps under both of my armpits, and the doctor is testing them hoping its not mastitis. 


back to top